Sunday, April 1, 2012

A Breezy Blossomy Ride

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Plum blossom dancing on bare brown twigs
Birdsong weaving a web of music
Lilac bushes pregnant with promise

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

After two days of damp and cold, the sun finally broke through late this afternoon, adding a touch of warmth to our chilly spring day. (No more heat wave for us.) Lawn mowers could be heard around the neighbourhood as I set off, including one in our own yard. The landlord's son-in-law has come with his riding mower to decapitate our violets. (Dang!) Luckily they've only just started blooming and may live to blossom again in a week or two.

Quite a nippy east wind is blowing today, making me wish I'd worn my tights. My legs have been anointed with a tea tree-and-peppermint-oil concoction to help guard against ticks - Lyme's disease is already making its rounds, to the consternation of many. I want to be protected while prancing through the brush to take pictures, and an ounce of tea tree oil is worth a pound of doxycycline.

Wild plum is blossoming, and I'm lucky enough to find some down a side road, less than a mile outside town. Iris gets parked against a handy tree whilst I and the camera go to investigate.


Such delicate beauty and soft sweetness...


...I could take pictures of these all day.


Glorious view.


Time to get back on the bike and head for the main road. On the way I snap this noble stand of birch.


A few miles on, I'm wondering what this tree might be. Ash? (Why didn't I bring my tree guide? And why didn't I take a picture of the bark for better identification?)


The baby leaves are an intense kelly green and look delightful against the blue-and-white sky.


Blackbirds are darting and weaving all along this road. Their call and response echoes around and across me. On every side, birds are singing and swooping and filling the air with the music of spring.


A few miles further, I smell rain. Some heavy grey clouds are drifting over a newly-burned field to my left...


...and to my right, making a dramatic curtain for the sun.


But it's spring in Wisconsin, and five minutes later the weather has changed (again). Pretty standard.

Detail of a rusty bridge railing.


Sandhill cranes hiding in a cornfield.


Pine bark looking like it just ate something sour.


A regiment of pines, stretching out their branches to the sun. The bushes growing at the edge of the forest are almost impossibly green. Everywhere I go, the browns and greys of winter are overlaid by the bright emerald of spring.


A few miles from home, more blossoms. These look a bit different - could they be blackthorn?


They're almost unbearably beautiful.


Almost home now. Just outside town, I pass some young trees (aspen, I think) with smooth grey bark and these delicate frond-like catkins.



It's a wonderful time of year to be alive. And riding!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking us along. Everything is springing forth with such beauty in your corner of the world. Have a great week. Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your description of the pine bark, made me chuckle. It's such a great time of year to be out on the bike, always something new to see, the countryside changing all the time.
    I'm not sure the blossom you found is blackthorn, I've never seen it flower with leaves at the same time, always blossom with bare branches here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These biking adventures of yours are always so beautiful. Something new every time. Loved seeing a glimpse of your bike.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Goodness Sue, what a glorious set of images. I'm sure that's blackthorn, the hedgerows here are full of it just now, blackthorn and wild cherry and damsons, they're as frothy as a can-can dancers pettocoats, our hedges ;D

    ReplyDelete
  5. As Andamento says, Blackthorn flowers before the leaves show and the flowers will probably be on the thorn of the bush. Ash trees have compound leaves, that tree doesn't look like it has those.

    How lovely to see the Cranes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful pictures. I like the cranes, but they really can hide can't they?
    My favorite shot is the pine bark. Made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovey pictures. Thanks. Once again I feel I've found a treasure!! Joan

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Speak on....