Monday, August 21, 2017

Two Patterns Published, and a Tutorial for the Apple Dumpling Hat Join

It's hard to think about Autumn when summer is still at its peak - which is probably why I didn't blog about these patterns when they first came out last month. (It couldn't, surely, be anything to do with lack of organisation on my part. Oh no.)

Now, with goldenrod marching across the fields and September breathing down our necks, the time seems right to mention Love of Crochet's Fall 2017 issue, in which are appearing the...

Photo courtesy Love of Crochet

and the...

Photo courtesy Love of Crochet

~

The Apple Picking Mitts feature double rows of mock cables at tops and cuffs, with back loop only, front loop only, and crossed stitches giving plenty of interest and texture. A simple hdc body with built-in thumb gussets makes this project quick, fun, and well-fitting.


The Apple Dumpling Hat uses simple rounds of extended hdc, worked in the back bar, for stretchy texture:


It's topped with a darn cute stem and leaf (though I says it as shouldn't):


Click here to check out all the lovely patterns in Love of Crochet Fall 2017. Both digital and print issues are available.

Image courtesy Love of Crochet

~

And now, the Apple Dumpling Hat join.

Any variation of hdc worked in the back bar makes for a striking stitch - but how do you keep those raised ridges flowing smoothly at round joins? Visible seams are a pet peeve of mine, so I developed a special join just for this project. It's a hybrid of the Slipped Slip join and the Mock Invisible Join, with some travelling join vibe thrown in for good measure.

The magazine pattern calls it a "Modified Join". Here's how to make it:

1. Start with a round of hdc foundation stitch. (The first hdc made in each round will be called the "starting hdc", and the last one will be called the "ending hdc".) Bring the two ends together, RS facing outwards, to form a ring. Pull up working loop to about 3/8" tall and remove hook from loop. (The arrows in Photo 1 show where the loop is about to go.) 
2. With working yarn above and behind work, insert hook from WS to RS through top loops of starting hdc.
3. Place working loop back on hook and pull it through to back of project.


4. Drop loop again, turn work so WS is facing you, and insert hook from bottom to top through the back bar and back loop of the ending hdc. (I'm calling them the back loop and back bar because that's what they would be if viewed from the right side. Slightly confusing, I know.)
5. Place working loop back on hook, and ...
6. Draw it down through the other two loops.

 
7. Turn the work again so the RS is facing you. Pull the working yarn to tighten the join. The top of the starting hdc should "merge" with the top of the ending hdc as in photo below.


8. To start the next round, chain 4 (does not count as stitch), skip 1 stitch, ehdc in back bar of next stitch.
9. When you get to the end of the round, make the ending stitch in the back bar of the skipped stitch, keeping the ch-4 behind the work. The round start/end has now shifted one stitch to the left.
10. Ending stitch made and Modified Join complete.


This combination of sneaky join and shifting round start makes the seam much less noticeable. Here's how it looks after several rounds, wrong side (left photo) and right side (right photo):


Pretty subtle, huh? But all is not perfect. See the little arrow in the right-hand photo above? It's pointing to the last stitch of Round 3, which has developed a gap.

There are two ways to avoid a gap like that: pull yarn tail very firmly in Step 7, and make the first chain of the next round very tight to "lock" the join. (Be aware that if you pull things too tightly you can get a puckered seam. The road to perfect tension is not an easy one.)

The best way and time to tighten a chain stitch is after it's made: so chain 1, then press thumb against working loop to keep it from slipping. With other hand, grasp work just below the chain. Tug hook firmly upwards until chain shrinks to a fraction of its normal size (see photo below). Release thumb and gently pull yarn tail to snug loop on hook; work rest of chain stitches normally.


Whew! Making this join is much quicker and easier than writing it out. :) If you have any questions about the technique, feel free to ask in the comment section below.

I hope you'll find this join useful for making an Apple Dumpling Hat of your own, and for other projects too.

You may do whatever you like with objects made using this technique, but you may not reproduce or re-post the text or photos without permission. (Links to this post are welcome.) If you do reference this technique, please credit the author.

Thanks for viewing, and happy crocheting!

~

P.S. Are you ready for Fall? Or (like me) still loving Summer?

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

22 comments:

  1. I do not love summer in the desert. Definitely looking forward to a change in the weather so I can spend more time outdoors and start planting again. Cute apple hate and love the hand warmers -- I made a lot of them last year using a very simple pattern with a ribbed cuff. Yours are much prettier. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy!

      Honestly I don't know how you make it through summer where you live! I can see why you'd be looking forward to fall. :)

      Delete
  2. Love these! Thank you for the how to. I am so looking forward to cooler temps and all the wonderful stuff that comes along with fall. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki!

      Another vote for fall ... I'm starting to feel outnumbered already. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm hoping we have a winter this year, didn't last year. Really like the red apple dumpling hat. Have you been riding?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janet! I do hope you get a winter. We've hardly had a summer this year - it's been pretty mild.

      Rides have been few and far between. I'm still not fully healed from my surgery in the spring. Things are getting better, just more slowly than I'd like. :|

      Delete
  4. I love both of your projects.. you are such a crochet rock star! I refuse to get in the Autumn mood until September 1st.. then all bets are off. I see the changes, though.. falling leaves.. everything is turning dry. But I'm hanging on to summer until them. ((hugs)), Teresa :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad I'm not the only one hanging on to summer! I see changes too - leaves starting to yellow and curl, sky getting bluer, cool winds blowing in from the northwest, geese and cranes gathering. *sigh* Of course when autumn comes I'll love it. I always do. :)

      Delete
  5. COngrats on two wonderful pattern Sue. Thank you for posting that tutorial. You amaze me with your brilliant designs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so great, they should give you your own magazine! Your crochet skills are astounding! Listen, I am sick of summer...I am ready for cooler days and nights! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dang, Kay, you make me blush.

      Regarding the summer/fall thing, I'm sensing a trend. Those who live in the desert and/or the South are all for fall! Our summer has been comparatively mild here in Wisconsin, which is probably why I'm not ready for it to be over. :)

      Delete
  7. The braid on the mitts is SO beautiful. Good job on both of the patterns.

    Me? I'm ready for FALL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dee! I had a lot of fun working out that stitch pattern. It would make a pretty hat band too, I think.

      Another vote for Fall. Ah well. If I lived in Florida I'd probably feel the same. :)

      Delete
  8. Lovely patterns! The hat is too adorable!! Great tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amy! I first designed that hat in orange yarn, to look like a pumpkin, but I think I like the apple version even better. I can picture it made in black and yellow stripes too, for a bumblebee look, with a little black stinger instead of the stem at the top. :)

      Delete
  9. Well done! Pretty patterns too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs Micawber you've done it again. LOVE the fingerless!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations on such fall-flavored hits! You continue to amaze me with all the stitch improvements you come up with!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Deb! It must be the company I keep.... ;)

      Delete

I love comments! Speak on....